1. The interspecies interface reaches not across languages, but across language itself, as it is humanly understood.
2. There is a difference between agency and consent. A nonhuman species has agency in its relations to humans and other species, but it cannot consent to these relations, in the sense that consent involves verbal affirmation.
3. Whether or not some nonhuman animals have language or humanlike cognitive capacities is an open question.
4. Ethics cannot depend on whether or not animals are like humans.
5. Ethics is a matter of life and death.
6. If ethics cannot depend on whether or not animals are like humans, it must depend on something else.
7. Donna Haraway argues that our interspecies politics must reject the gesture of making a species “merely killable.”
8. Nonhuman animals are not the only beings who get made merely killable.
9. Colonialism and genocide hinge around the gesture of making people merely killable.
10. “Dehumanization” is a word for making beings merely killable.
11. Fascists like Hitler and Donald Trump incite and organize violence by dehumanizing groups and thus, making them merely killable.
12. Biologically speaking, all Homo sapiens are in the same “human” species. Politically speaking, we are not.
13. The category of the human is subject to historical and political forces, in the exact same way that the changing boundaries of nation-states are the products of historical and political forces.
14. “Sovereignty” is a word for momentary forms of species affiliation.
15. Sovereignty is an incitement to kill the Other.
16. Whether or not fascists should be considered human is an open question.
17. That fascists must be opposed is without arguing. Whether or not this opposition must be based on dehumanization is an open question.
18. Solidarity is not the same as sovereignty.
19. Dehumanization is a filthy trick meant to prevent solidarity among the oppressed.
20. It is a historical tragedy that likening people to animals has long meant making them merely killable.
21. Fascists and colonists are worse than animals, not least because animals are never in charge on whether or not they are, in fact, animals. Fascists, however, are always in charge on whether or not they are fascists.
22. Only fascists can consent to fascism.
the biological feminist position is repulsive for its exclusionary violence. we have already told you: we refuse to know what woman is. yet on the occasion of the women’s march, we stood behind this position. this is not because we accept the idea that a woman is to be defined on the reproductive terms that appear under attack. we realize these terms have been weaponized in the protection of their own territory. we reject this violence. we stood behind this position because it united one million in DC and nearly 750,000 people in los angeles against a regime that is at war with women as such. at this point we must look at what it means to get together. from the need to stand together, we begin to discuss how and why and to what extent we stand with a biological feminist movement.
(poem based on a dream i’ve mostly forgotten but remember explaining to nilo in a football field)
i am hidden in exteriors
the natural circulation
reverse the movement and inhibit digestion
i am teeming with
if not, unconvincing
faster than ever
SCENE 1: ENTER CARPETED APARTMENT CLOSET TO SIDE OF WALL MIRROR IS PRESENT REFLECTING CLOSET
FIGURE ENTERS SCENE IN CHEETAH PRINTED DRESS
CAT MEOW IS HEARD, INSINUATION THAT CAT IS PRESENT OUTSIDE APARTMENT
SCENE 7: The Funeral Studio in MME IRMA’S listing of the Studios. The studio is in ruins. The lace and velvet are torn. The art cial wreaths are tattered. An impression ofdesolation. IRMA’S dress is in rags. So is the suit of THE CHIEF OF POLICE. ARTHUR’S corpse is lying on a kind offake tomb offake black marble. Nearby, a new character, THE COURT ENVOY. Embassy un orm. He is the only one un scathed. CARMEN is dressed as at the beginning. A tremendous explosion. Everything shatters.
IRMA : Not at all , your Excellency. It’s make-believe that these gentlemen want. The Minister desired a fake corpse. But this one is real. Look at it : it’s truer than life . His entire being is speeding towards immobility .
the other day a cat jumped into my garden and I touched it